Author Topic: Valar Morghulis ~~~WARNING: SEASON 7 SPOILER ALERT!!!~~~  (Read 19299 times)

Offline wild-turkey

• 101 Proof
  • Icon
Re: Valar Morghulis ~~~WARNING: SEASON 7 SPOILER ALERT!!!~~~
« Reply #1625 on: August 28, 2017, 12:33:05 PM »
Yes, finally! 

That was a whole lot of shit happening, although it was expected.  It's nice to finally get official confirmation of R+L=J and that he's legit.  It's also nice to know everyone will probably be finding out. 

I'm interested to see where Jaime goes now.  Does he meet up with Bronn, Brienne, Tyrion, the Hound? 

The only problem was the problem with the whole season.  So much stuff in so short a span.  There were several things in just this episode we've been waiting forever for.  Littlefinger's death would have been the highlight of an entire episode in past season.  The wall coming down would have been THE event of a past season.  Jon and Dany getting together would have been the biggest thing about any other season.  And some of the characters getting official confirmation of Jon's heritage is one of the biggest events of the series.  And we get it all in one episode.

I just wonder why they decided to do it this way.  I know there has been talk of financial concerns, but, it being the biggest show on HBO and one of the biggest shows on TV, it feels like they could have chosen how they wanted to do it.  Two seasons seemed appropriate, but it would have been nice to have full seasons.  It wouldn't have felt so rushed and crazy.
The actors are ready to move on after 8 years.  They have to close out the series or they would have to recast which wouldn't go over well.

Eight years is a long time especially when you have young cast memebers that have big opportunities they have to pass on.  At least we will get a conclusion.

Offline Cali Cat

• Once she sinks her claws in...it's OVER
  • Cold-Hearted Woman
  • Hall of Famer
  • cold-hearted woman
« Reply #1626 on: August 28, 2017, 12:59:26 PM »
Yes, finally! 

That was a whole lot of shit happening, although it was expected.  It's nice to finally get official confirmation of R+L=J and that he's legit.  It's also nice to know everyone will probably be finding out. 

I'm interested to see where Jaime goes now.  Does he meet up with Bronn, Brienne, Tyrion, the Hound? 

The only problem was the problem with the whole season.  So much stuff in so short a span.  There were several things in just this episode we've been waiting forever for.  Littlefinger's death would have been the highlight of an entire episode in past season.  The wall coming down would have been THE event of a past season.  Jon and Dany getting together would have been the biggest thing about any other season.  And some of the characters getting official confirmation of Jon's heritage is one of the biggest events of the series.  And we get it all in one episode.

I just wonder why they decided to do it this way.  I know there has been talk of financial concerns, but, it being the biggest show on HBO and one of the biggest shows on TV, it feels like they could have chosen how they wanted to do it.  Two seasons seemed appropriate, but it would have been nice to have full seasons.  It wouldn't have felt so rushed and crazy.

I think they decided to do it this way for two reasons.  The main one is Martin only gave them the broad strokes, the major plot points, in terms of where he's taking the story.  Instead of choosing to pad it out, they kept it kind of skeletal.

As far as budget, when I think back through the 7 episodes from this season, many of them had the kind of epic scenes involving lots of CGI that used to be reserved for only one or two episodes in previous seasons.  That's a shit load of money and time.
  memphis1 sf3 kentucky1

"The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." -Orwell

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea." -Heinlein (thanks, kburjr!)

"... I'm dangerous, I'm unhinged, I'm mentally ill ..."  -F  og

Offline Misterfamous

• Superstar
  • Admin
  • Hall of Famer
  • PIV is always rape, ok?!
« Reply #1627 on: August 28, 2017, 01:03:34 PM »
The actors are ready to move on after 8 years.  They have to close out the series or they would have to recast which wouldn't go over well.

Eight years is a long time especially when you have young cast memebers that have big opportunities they have to pass on.  At least we will get a conclusion.
Yeah, but think of the possibilities: a third Daario Naharis actor !

Seriously, HBO did greenlight development somewhere from 2-4 prequel series for Game of Thrones.  It's not clear if more than one will go into production though.  My feeling is that when HBO takes so long to complete a series like this, there's a clear weariness in much of the audience, and there's more time to dwell on the writing suffering.  Six Feet Under and Sopranos come to mind.
wsh2 wsh3 gb1

Offline B_lake

• Blake
  • Coach
  • Ask your girl, she know...
« Reply #1628 on: August 28, 2017, 01:12:32 PM »
Yeah, but think of the possibilities: a third Daario Naharis actor !

Holy shit, I knew something was off!!  Damn, I really suck at telling people apart from one another...
"Hey little kid" - NFL-Solo to B_lake on 12-20-2016

Offline Misterfamous

• Superstar
  • Admin
  • Hall of Famer
« Reply #1629 on: August 28, 2017, 01:15:23 PM »
Holy shit, I knew something was off!!  Damn, I really suck at telling people apart from one another...
Hah.  They all look alike ? :D

To be fair, whenever I watched the "Fabio" version, I remember everyone in the room would snicker a bit when he came on screen.
wsh2 wsh3 gb1

Offline Cali Cat

• Cold-Hearted Woman
  • Hall of Famer
  • cold-hearted woman
« Reply #1630 on: August 28, 2017, 01:16:54 PM »

I was so glad they recast the first guy.  He was awful.
Yes, he had that smarmy quality book-Daario had, but, sorry, he was completely unbelievable, at least imo, as someone Daenerys would let anywhere near her.

btw - I'm far from a Kit Harrington (Jon Snow/Aegon Targaryen) fan, but he does have a nice ass.

Boatsex!!!
  memphis1 sf3 kentucky1

"The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." -Orwell

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea." -Heinlein (thanks, kburjr!)

Offline B_lake

• Blake
  • Coach
« Reply #1631 on: August 28, 2017, 01:34:13 PM »
Hah.  They all look alike ? :D

To be fair, whenever I watched the "Fabio" version, I remember everyone in the room would snicker a bit when he came on screen.

Haha, yeah, that one would be filed under "they all look alike"...I just figured the blonde guy got a haircut...Then again, I did binge watch the first five seasons so a lot of things from Danny's time in the East got blended together...

Offline B_lake

• Blake
  • Coach
« Reply #1632 on: August 28, 2017, 01:37:42 PM »
In continuing with the look alike theme, Rhaegar damn sure looked a lot like Dany's brother, Viserys...

Offline B_lake

• Blake
  • Coach
« Reply #1633 on: August 28, 2017, 01:42:47 PM »
I was so glad they recast the first guy.  He was awful.
Yes, he had that smarmy quality book-Daario had, but, sorry, he was completely unbelievable, at least imo, as someone Daenerys would let anywhere near her.

btw - I'm far from a Kit Harrington (Jon Snow/Aegon Targaryen) fan, but he does have a nice ass.

Boatsex!!!

I had no clue until I saw the pic that Famous posted...I knew something was different, I just couldn't my finger on it...

"We shall sail together."

Poor, poor Jorah.

Offline Cali Cat

• Cold-Hearted Woman
  • Hall of Famer
  • cold-hearted woman
« Reply #1634 on: August 28, 2017, 01:59:48 PM »
In continuing with the look alike theme, Rhaegar damn sure looked a lot like Dany's brother, Viserys...

In the books, Rhaegar and Viserys are described as looking a lot alike, only Rhaegar is taller and even better looking.
I didn't find Viserys particularly good-looking, but some of that may have had to do with the fact he was so vile.
The actor who played him, while a brunette in real life, is nice looking, at least in some pictures.
The guy who played Rhaegar, yeah, I can see why they went with him just from his headshot.

memphis1 sf3 kentucky1

Offline B_lake

• Blake
  • Coach
« Reply #1635 on: August 28, 2017, 02:13:52 PM »
In the books, Rhaegar and Viserys are described as looking a lot alike, only Rhaegar is taller and even better looking.

I didn't find Viserys particularly good-looking,

but some of that may have had to do with the fact he was so vile.
The actor who played him, while a brunette in real life, is nice looking, at least in some pictures.
The guy who played Rhaegar, yeah, I can see why they went with him just from his headshot.

Okay, now it makes sense.

Me either.

Offline Cali Cat

• Cold-Hearted Woman
  • Hall of Famer
  • cold-hearted woman
« Reply #1636 on: August 28, 2017, 02:16:57 PM »
Here's a decent picture of the guy who played Viserys:

memphis1 sf3 kentucky1

Offline B_lake

• Blake
  • Coach
« Reply #1637 on: August 28, 2017, 02:57:02 PM »
Wow, give him some long blonde hair and a year or two of using meth on a regular basis and you ended up with whoever the fuck that was on tv...

Viserys came off as a petite little fella on television.

Online kburjr

• THE SCYTHE
  • Hall of Famer
  • I don't care.
« Reply #1638 on: August 28, 2017, 03:43:37 PM »
GoT ought to go theatrical for the conclusion.  2 1/2 hours of sex, dragons and epic warfare.  Then the British Fleet lands.
"Democracy? I want nothing to do with a system which operates on the premise that my rights don't exist simply because I am outnumbered."

-  E. Lee Wrights

“Keep a goverment poor and weak and it's your servant; when it is rich and powerful it becomes your master.”
―H. Beam Piper

“Over himself, over his own body and mind, the individual is sovereign.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

Democracy is a pathetic belief in the collective wisdom of individual ignorance. – H.L. Mencken

Offline Cali Cat

• Cold-Hearted Woman
  • Hall of Famer
  • cold-hearted woman
« Reply #1639 on: August 28, 2017, 03:50:59 PM »
Wow, give him some long blonde hair and a year or two of using meth on a regular basis and you ended up with whoever the fuck that was on tv...

Viserys came off as a petite little fella on television.

Yeah, it's kind of extraordinary how different the guy looked as Viserys! 
Wigs and makeup sure can alter one's appearance.

I looked him up, he's 5'11", so not particularly tall, but not not a little guy, either.
The guy who played Rhaegar was 6'4".  Now, if only he was about 20 years older, we'd be in business.
  memphis1 sf3 kentucky1

Offline Tom Ace

• Star
  • Icon
  • This is my personal text.
« Reply #1640 on: August 29, 2017, 09:47:23 AM »

I know they had to wrap it up.  It's just so rushed that it feels like it could improve a lot just by adding more episodes, even if that's just making the last two seasons longer. 

Offline Tom Ace

• Star
  • Icon
  • This is my personal text.
« Reply #1641 on: August 29, 2017, 09:48:50 AM »
I think they decided to do it this way for two reasons.  The main one is Martin only gave them the broad strokes, the major plot points, in terms of where he's taking the story.  Instead of choosing to pad it out, they kept it kind of skeletal.

I understand that thinking.  It's just such a Stark difference (sorry, had to).  Maybe this was better than the alternative, but it just feels a little off.

As far as budget, when I think back through the 7 episodes from this season, many of them had the kind of epic scenes involving lots of CGI that used to be reserved for only one or two episodes in previous seasons.  That's a chit load of money and time.

It definitely is. 

Offline Cali Cat

• Cold-Hearted Woman
  • Hall of Famer
  • cold-hearted woman
« Reply #1642 on: August 29, 2017, 01:31:07 PM »
I understand that thinking.  It's just such a Stark difference (sorry, had to).  Maybe this was better than the alternative, but it just feels a little off.

It definitely is. 

Haha.  I do think it was a better alternative, but I agree it does feel a little off. 
  memphis1 sf3 kentucky1

Online Mannyrules3

• CBS Admin6
  • Coach
  • Who's Your Skydaddy?
« Reply #1643 on: August 29, 2017, 03:54:55 PM »
Holy chit, I knew something was off!!  Damn, I really suck at telling people apart from one another...

Who can blame you, those white people all look the same.

Online Mannyrules3

• CBS Admin6
  • Coach
  • Who's Your Skydaddy?
« Reply #1644 on: August 29, 2017, 03:56:48 PM »
How long before Season 8?

I'm hearing not until 2019.  :/

Offline Cali Cat

• Cold-Hearted Woman
  • Hall of Famer
  • cold-hearted woman
« Reply #1645 on: September 03, 2017, 11:51:45 AM »
I've seen a lot of great/funny memes (if I'm using that word correctly) from the season finale, but this one of my favorites.

To Kill A Mockingbird
  memphis1 sf3 kentucky1

Offline Cali Cat

• Cold-Hearted Woman
  • Hall of Famer
  • cold-hearted woman
« Reply #1646 on: September 26, 2017, 12:01:40 PM »
Directors announced for the final season:

Miguel Sapochnik, "the director of Hardhome, Battle of the Bastards, and The Winds of Winter is back, and he isn’t the only one. Along with Sapochnik, season eight will also see the return of David Nutter, best known for directing successful pilot episodes for television. In terms of Game of Thrones in particular, Nutter was in charge of the Red Wedding in The Rains of Castamere, as well as The Dance of Dragons and Mother’s Mercy, the best episodes of season five except perhaps for Hardhome."

Sapochnik and Nutter will direct 5 of the 6 episodes, with D&D directing the series finale.

From Watchers on the Wall.
  memphis1 sf3 kentucky1

Offline Red Hessian

• The Crimson King
  • Professional Lawn Darts
  • Hall of Famer
  • Sharpens you up for a bit of the old ultraviolence
« Reply #1647 on: September 26, 2017, 12:39:05 PM »
I'm hearing not until 2019.  :/
damn it. the Sopranos did that, and I really felt they lost steam.
Light fuse, get away

Offline Misterfamous

• Superstar
  • Admin
  • Hall of Famer
« Reply #1648 on: September 28, 2017, 04:03:23 PM »
damn it. the Sopranos did that, and I really felt they lost steam.
The writing had suffered even before that.  The fanbase was waning already, and then told to stick it out with less episodes and longer intervals between seasons.  GoT is still operating at pretty high quality, so I guess the showrunners feel they have enough goodwill banked.

I suspect this has more to do with HBO's pipeline.
wsh2 wsh3 gb1

Offline Red Hessian

• The Crimson King
  • Professional Lawn Darts
  • Hall of Famer
  • Sharpens you up for a bit of the old ultraviolence
« Reply #1649 on: September 28, 2017, 04:05:07 PM »
The writing did seem to dip, but I always thought the hype was huge right before their hiatus.
Light fuse, get away