Author Topic: National Beer Day  (Read 10847 times)

Offline Scuzz

Re: National Beer Day
« Reply #50 on: April 07, 2016, 12:38:25 PM »
You just said you are not into Hoppy beers, then say you enjoy the hoppiest of hoppys out there?

the 120's are too much.  I like the 90, but the 120 goes a little over board.

Yea, the 90 is my favorite of theirs. I will buy the 60 sometimes but I prefer the 90.
Being right is the least of my concerns.

Gastropod

« Reply #51 on: April 07, 2016, 12:38:57 PM »

Offline Scuzz

« Reply #52 on: April 07, 2016, 12:41:07 PM »
I had an Orange Belgian Whit last weekend. One was enough.

Offline ninermanic63

« Reply #53 on: April 07, 2016, 12:42:18 PM »
B_lake, most bars will list what is called the International Bittering Unit (IBU).  It's a scale that will generally tell you how hoppy (or bitter) a beer is.  The higher the number, the more bitter a beer is.  Anything north of 50 IBUs is most likely too bitter for my palate.  I'm more into stouts, porters and brown ales.

That is still more of a guideline than a rule.  I've had some beers in excess of 100 IBUs and they didn't taste nearly as bitter as some that range in the 60s or 70s.

I've got 99 problems, and beer solves all of 'em.

Offline B_lake

« Reply #54 on: April 07, 2016, 12:43:34 PM »
You just said you are not into Hoppy beers, then say you enjoy the hoppiest of hoppys out there?

the 120's are too much.  I like the 90, but the 120 goes a little over board.

I was looking for a beer to drink at the time when I was taking a break from smoking, it was recommended by a buddy.  I was fine with one, then I went overboard one day.  It's what turned me off of the hops.  I haven't tried the 60 or 90.

I prefer to drink a few beers during the day, if I'm not drinking Corona these days I'm on the Devil's Backbone Vienna lager or my Stella.
"Hey little kid" - NFL-Solo to B_lake on 12-20-2016

Offline Scuzz

« Reply #55 on: April 07, 2016, 12:43:43 PM »
Is it just around here or does it seem like microbreweries are to busy making specialty stuff to make a decent brown or red ale?

Offline B_lake

« Reply #56 on: April 07, 2016, 12:44:39 PM »
The Grapefruit ones are good but tend to be on the weaker side alcohol wise.

That means that I can drink more of them.

Offline kburjr

« Reply #57 on: April 07, 2016, 12:45:00 PM »
Is it just around here or does it seem like microbreweries are to busy making specialty stuff to make a decent brown or red ale?

Fuckin 5 star right there
"Democracy? I want nothing to do with a system which operates on the premise that my rights don't exist simply because I am outnumbered."

-  E. Lee Wrights

“Keep a goverment poor and weak and it's your servant; when it is rich and powerful it becomes your master.”
―H. Beam Piper

“Over himself, over his own body and mind, the individual is sovereign.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

Offline ninermanic63

« Reply #58 on: April 07, 2016, 12:45:26 PM »

That must just be around there, Scuzz.  Although this time of year, they tend to shy away from the malty stuff.  It's a seasonal thing.
I've got 99 problems, and beer solves all of 'em.

Offline B_lake

« Reply #59 on: April 07, 2016, 12:45:37 PM »
B_lake, most bars will list what is called the International Bittering Unit (IBU).  It's a scale that will generally tell you how hoppy (or bitter) a beer is.  The higher the number, the more bitter a beer is.  Anything north of 50 IBUs is most likely too bitter for my palate.  I'm more into stouts, porters and brown ales.

That is still more of a guideline than a rule.  I've had some beers in excess of 100 IBUs and they didn't taste nearly as bitter as some that range in the 60s or 70s.

Thanks Niner.  I don't go out a lot, I get most of my beer knowledge these days from the local sports radio show.

Gastropod

« Reply #60 on: April 07, 2016, 12:46:05 PM »

Why would you want to?
Rather have more bang with less fluid.  Don't need to be running to the urinal all night because I had 14 beers to get drunk.

Offline Scuzz

« Reply #61 on: April 07, 2016, 12:46:39 PM »

Alcohol levels are all over the place in craft beers. My wife and daughter had imperial stouts at a place last weekend....freakin 12%. Then the wife wonders why she is feeling "slow" the next day.

Gastropod

« Reply #62 on: April 07, 2016, 12:47:04 PM »

Not a lot of Red ales out there nationally.
Sam is OK. 

Offline steelerssb

« Reply #63 on: April 07, 2016, 12:47:14 PM »
Natty Daddys are $1.50
You have been banned from further use of this board. To dispute the ban, please email the CBS help desk.

pit1 pit2 pit3 missouri1 northwestern1

"I don't have thin skin — I have very strong, very thick skin," Trump told CNN's State of the Union in an interview broadcast Sunday.

Offline Scuzz

« Reply #64 on: April 07, 2016, 12:47:53 PM »
That must just be around there, Scuzz.  Although this time of year, they tend to shy away from the malty stuff.  It's a seasonal thing.

I will admit to not liking overly malted beer. But I have always liked a nice red ale.

Gastropod

« Reply #65 on: April 07, 2016, 12:48:11 PM »
Alcohol levels are all over the place in craft beers. My wife and daughter had imperial stouts at a place last weekend....freakin 12%. Then the wife wonders why she is feeling "slow" the next day.

Yah.  back in the fall I got my wife the Pumpkin Head Smashed Pumpkin Ales.  Unlike the regular ones, these are 10%.  She had 3 fairly quickly and was a train wreck.

Offline B_lake

« Reply #66 on: April 07, 2016, 12:48:28 PM »
Why would you want to?
Rather have more bang with less fluid.  Don't need to be running to the urinal all night because I had 14 beers to get drunk.

Oh, I'm not drinking to get drunk, just a nice buzz.

At my age, I don't have those problems, yet.

Offline Scuzz

« Reply #67 on: April 07, 2016, 12:48:47 PM »
Natty Daddys are $1.50

I grew up buying cases of 11oz Lucky Lagers for $1.99.

Gastropod

« Reply #68 on: April 07, 2016, 12:49:09 PM »
Natty Daddys are $1.50

And not even worth that.
Although back in college, a 12 pack of Natty Ice ran <$5 which was a good deal for a nights work.

Offline B_lake

« Reply #69 on: April 07, 2016, 12:49:28 PM »
Natty Daddys are $1.50

At least they're drinkable.  You can get a six pack of Magnum's or Cobra's for $0.50 more.

Offline B_lake

« Reply #70 on: April 07, 2016, 12:50:29 PM »
We used to drink Natty Lite's after work when I was doing landscaping in high school.

Online NFL-Solomon

• Acting "As if"
  • Republican
  • Hall of Famer
  • View Inventory
  • Send /Gift
  • With More Brain Than You Can Possibly Imagine
« Reply #71 on: April 07, 2016, 12:51:04 PM »
This IPA talk is ruining lunch. It's like watching a bunch of spastic kids talk about which of the dog's anal sores is best to lick.
There, now you have been granted Wisdom.
"The thread is topic is are ..." -steelerssb,"journalist"
"I'm just public housing trash." - dbldwn711 9/19/16 4:03am Confirmed Liar
Permanent Master of Handicappers
"I'm your Huckleberry"
-
"Everything I say is a lie"-dbldwn711

Offline kburjr

« Reply #72 on: April 07, 2016, 12:52:08 PM »
This IPA talk is ruining lunch. It's like watching a bunch of spastic kids talk about which of the dog's anal sores is best to lick.

Did you give them the correct answer or are you keeping that sore for yourself?
"Democracy? I want nothing to do with a system which operates on the premise that my rights don't exist simply because I am outnumbered."

-  E. Lee Wrights

“Keep a goverment poor and weak and it's your servant; when it is rich and powerful it becomes your master.”
―H. Beam Piper

“Over himself, over his own body and mind, the individual is sovereign.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

Offline Scuzz

« Reply #73 on: April 07, 2016, 12:52:25 PM »
Not a lot of Red ales out there nationally.
Sam is OK. 

Forget the brewery but there is one around here called Red Tail Ale. Made in Hopland I think.

Offline steelerssb

« Reply #74 on: April 07, 2016, 12:52:46 PM »
Keep your fantasies to yourself.
You have been banned from further use of this board. To dispute the ban, please email the CBS help desk.

pit1 pit2 pit3 missouri1 northwestern1

"I don't have thin skin — I have very strong, very thick skin," Trump told CNN's State of the Union in an interview broadcast Sunday.