Author Topic: the evolution of humans  (Read 1271 times)

fear and loathing

Re: the evolution of humans
« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2018, 01:44:31 PM »
The Stadel Cave (Germany) "lion man." Said to be the first example of H. sapiens art:

dated to ~ 32,000 years ago

Online kburjr

• THE SCYTHE
  • Hall of Famer
  • I don't care.
« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2018, 03:01:13 PM »
Question:  Has evolution in the human species been stopped by modern medicine?
"Democracy? I want nothing to do with a system which operates on the premise that my rights don't exist simply because I am outnumbered."

-  E. Lee Wrights

“Keep a goverment poor and weak and it's your servant; when it is rich and powerful it becomes your master.”
―H. Beam Piper

“Over himself, over his own body and mind, the individual is sovereign.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

Democracy is a pathetic belief in the collective wisdom of individual ignorance. – H.L. Mencken

fear and loathing

« Reply #27 on: January 10, 2018, 03:42:49 PM »
Question:  Has evolution in the human species been stopped by modern medicine?

Evolution is the process whereby the environment prevents certain individuals of a population from successfully breeding. It must be understood that the members of the sub-population all shared a genetically determined trait, upon which nature acted.

So, rewording your question in terms of the definition of evolution:

Has modern medicine prevented the environment from preventing some human individuals from successfully breeding?

I think that you'd have to consider the entire population of Earth in considering the answer.

sorta like:

Is nature still capable of preventing some genetic sub-population of humans from mating successfully despite the advent of modern medicine?

What do you think?

fear and loathing

« Reply #28 on: January 10, 2018, 03:45:32 PM »
It's interesting to note that sapiens shared the planet with the other human species for about 30,000-40,000 years before the other species "became extinguished."

Online kburjr

• THE SCYTHE
  • Hall of Famer
  • I don't care.
« Reply #29 on: January 10, 2018, 03:59:19 PM »
I guess I was thinking along the lines of sub populations that now breed that say 300 years ago would not have bred.  For instance, there are people who(m?) smallpox is not fatal. By eradicating for the most part, smallpox, have we ended up with a weaker species in comparison to a species that is genetically resistant to small pox?  I guess this goes with other diseases that have high fatality rates.

Just opinion seeking.  The question popped into my mind reading about the "germ warfare" waged against the Plains Indians.
"Democracy? I want nothing to do with a system which operates on the premise that my rights don't exist simply because I am outnumbered."

-  E. Lee Wrights

“Keep a goverment poor and weak and it's your servant; when it is rich and powerful it becomes your master.”
―H. Beam Piper

Democracy is a pathetic belief in the collective wisdom of individual ignorance. – H.L. Mencken

fear and loathing

« Reply #30 on: January 10, 2018, 04:08:00 PM »
Evolution is the process whereby the environment prevents certain individuals of a population from successfully breeding. It must be understood that the members of the sub-population all shared a genetically determined trait, upon which nature acted.

So, rewording your question in terms of the definition of evolution:

Has modern medicine prevented the environment from preventing some human individuals from successfully breeding?

I think that you'd have to consider the entire population of Earth in considering the answer.

sorta like:

Is nature still capable of preventing some genetic sub-population of humans from mating successfully despite the advent of modern medicine?

What do you think?

Upon reflecting, I think the verb "prevent" may be too strong. Perhaps "severely limit the odds of" may be better.

I think that PJ and Mball should be consulted.

fear and loathing

« Reply #31 on: January 10, 2018, 04:16:13 PM »
I guess I was thinking along the lines of sub populations that now breed that say 300 years ago would not have bred.  For instance, there are people who(m?) smallpox is not fatal. By eradicating for the most part, smallpox, have we ended up with a weaker species in comparison to a species that is genetically resistant to small pox?  I guess this goes with other diseases that have high fatality rates.

Just opinion seeking.  The question popped into my mind reading about the "germ warfare" waged against the Plains Indians.

My question is whether surviving a small pox infection is the result of genetics.

Amazingly, the array of B- and T-cells that are produced in an individual's bursa, is a random lot, and changes over time.

I haven't seen a study, but I'd like to compare the detailed array of lymphocytes between identical twins. Also, are there cases where one of an infected pair of twins died, whereas the other survived. That's the kind of data I'd like.

Online kburjr

• THE SCYTHE
  • Hall of Famer
  • I don't care.
« Reply #32 on: January 10, 2018, 04:24:59 PM »
My question is whether surviving a small pox infection is the result of genetics.

Amazingly, the array of B- and T-cells that are produced in an individual's bursa, is a random lot, and changes over time.

I haven't seen a study, but I'd like to compare the detailed array of lymphocytes between identical twins. Also, are there cases where one of an infected pair of twins died, whereas the other survived. That's the kind of data I'd like.

Those are the type questions and studies that I was looking for.  It also brings to mind "carriers" like Typhoid Mary.  Has a genetic marker been found for carriers?

Questions just lead to more questions.  It will keep me occupied some evening(s) and then I'll lose interest.

Or the grand query, does the superhuman await mankind in the future or do the viruses win before that?

-  E. Lee Wrights

―H. Beam Piper

fear and loathing

« Reply #33 on: January 10, 2018, 04:32:06 PM »

Questions just lead to more questions.  It will keep me occupied some evening(s) and then I'll lose interest.

Get a Ph.D., a tenured faculty position, a lab full of techs and grad students, and a few big grants that expire in two years. That'll prevent the losing of the interest.

Online kburjr

• THE SCYTHE
  • Hall of Famer
  • I don't care.
« Reply #34 on: January 10, 2018, 04:34:52 PM »
Get a Ph.D., a tenured faculty position, a lab full of techs and grad students, and a few big grants that expire in two years. That'll prevent the losing of the interest.

I'm more of a personal curator than an explorer.

-  E. Lee Wrights

―H. Beam Piper

fear and loathing

« Reply #35 on: January 10, 2018, 04:36:40 PM »
I'm more of a personal curator than an explorer.

Can't wait to walk through your Still Interesting Hall.

Online kburjr

• THE SCYTHE
  • Hall of Famer
  • I don't care.
« Reply #36 on: January 10, 2018, 04:42:37 PM »
Can't wait to walk through your Still Interesting Hall.

Well, I just bought Hayek's The Road to Serfdom: Text and Documents   and  Samuels Edwards' Rebel!: A Biography of Tom Paine

-  E. Lee Wrights

―H. Beam Piper

fear and loathing

« Reply #37 on: January 10, 2018, 04:55:23 PM »
Well, I just bought Hayek's The Road to Serfdom: Text and Documents   and  Samuels Edwards' Rebel!: A Biography of Tom Paine

Friedrich makes me puke

Offline bluenosecanuck

• Attention Whore
  • Star
  • Aka SLKaos
« Reply #38 on: January 11, 2018, 02:46:15 PM »
Is your problem that you imagine yourself to be a 4th rate troll?

You are really bad at connecting the dots or following conversations.  Have you been tested for degenerative brain conditions lately?
No, I'm not taking you seriously

I'm not from Pennsylvania you idiot!  I'm from Pittsburgh! - Sol

Online kburjr

• THE SCYTHE
  • Hall of Famer
  • I don't care.
« Reply #39 on: January 11, 2018, 05:43:38 PM »

-  E. Lee Wrights

―H. Beam Piper

Online kburjr

• THE SCYTHE
  • Hall of Famer
  • I don't care.
« Reply #40 on: January 13, 2018, 12:40:22 PM »
A fine article on the role of fossil fuels and our industrial world.

https://aeon.co/essays/could-we-reboot-a-modern-civilisation-without-fossil-fuels?utm_source=Aeon+Newsletter&utm_campaign=54abc132e9-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_2018_01_08&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_411a82e59d-54abc132e9-69502661

"...what might have happened if, for whatever reason, the Earth had never acquired its extensive underground deposits of coal and oil in the first place? Would our progress necessarily have halted in the 18th century, in a pre-industrial state?"

-  E. Lee Wrights

―H. Beam Piper

Offline Red Hessian

• The Crimson King
  • Professional Lawn Darts
  • Hall of Famer
  • Sharpens you up for a bit of the old ultraviolence
« Reply #41 on: January 13, 2018, 01:07:36 PM »
Why does it have you listed as a guest here, FnL?

Also, you need to put your av back up. They were all reset during Fog’s tinkering.

Gonna go back to the chocolate chick? Maybe Eric Burdon or Jack Bruce?
Light fuse, get away

Offline Cali Cat

• Once she sinks her claws in...it's OVER
  • Cold-Hearted Woman
  • Hall of Famer
  • cold-hearted woman
« Reply #42 on: January 13, 2018, 01:57:14 PM »
That's what happens when an account is deleted.
  memphis1 sf3 kentucky1

"The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." -Orwell

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea." -Heinlein (thanks, kburjr!)

"... I'm dangerous, I'm unhinged, I'm mentally ill ..."  -F  og

Offline Red Hessian

• The Crimson King
  • Hall of Famer
« Reply #43 on: January 13, 2018, 02:19:37 PM »
That's what happens when an account is deleted.
lol. I had a feeling  that was the case.
Light fuse, get away

Offline Red Hessian

• The Crimson King
  • Hall of Famer
« Reply #44 on: January 13, 2018, 02:21:33 PM »
Soooooo, that it then? I must’ve missed the goodbye post.
Light fuse, get away

Online kburjr

• THE SCYTHE
  • Hall of Famer
  • I don't care.
« Reply #45 on: January 22, 2018, 01:26:20 PM »
This thread has DEVO'ed

-  E. Lee Wrights

―H. Beam Piper

Offline Red Hessian

• The Crimson King
  • Hall of Famer
« Reply #46 on: January 22, 2018, 02:16:12 PM »
 Stupid asshats with flowerpots
Light fuse, get away

Online kburjr

• THE SCYTHE
  • Hall of Famer
  • I don't care.
« Reply #47 on: March 28, 2018, 03:11:44 PM »
Stupid asshats with flowerpots

Did someone say pot?

-  E. Lee Wrights

―H. Beam Piper

Offline geneh_33

• Star
  • ACC is better than (your conference here).
« Reply #48 on: May 03, 2018, 03:20:25 PM »
The evolution of Man is a crock pot for crapping in fer sher.
Romans 10:9
If you declare with your mouth, "Jesus is Lord," and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved.

Offline BuccinGator

• Icon
  • Average Joe With an Opinion
« Reply #49 on: May 24, 2018, 01:02:53 PM »
The evolution of Man is a crock pot for crapping in fer sher.

Arrr, cause it be far more believable that man just sprang in to existence, and woman be created from the rib of this landlubbing bilge rat.
~Imagine Whirled Peas~

When your only tool is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.