Author Topic: Malcolm butler  (Read 203 times)

Offline dbldwn711

Malcolm butler
« on: February 05, 2018, 01:14:11 PM »
Didn't play a defensive snap during the SB after playing 98% of the defensive snaps during the regular season. 

The question why is THE story in Boston right now. 

BB isn't saying why except that it wasn't discipline or illness.  If not either of those than what? 

Obviously, fans are wondering what "terrible" thing he could have done to not see the field while the pats D is getting shredded. He did arrive in Minny a day late but that was explained away by illness. Now reports are coming out that he missed curfew, got caught with weed and had a meltdown on the coaches. 

Whatever it is, teammates have to saying "we worked so hard all year not to have our best players out there in the SB"? 

This story won't go away anytime soon. Follow it.

Online Misterfamous

Re: Malcolm butler
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2018, 01:50:34 PM »
Venereal disease.
wsh2 wsh3 gb1

Offline Red Hessian

• The Crimson King
  • Professional Lawn Darts
  • Hall of Famer
  • View Inventory
  • Send /Gift
  • Sharpens you up for a bit of the old ultraviolence
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2018, 02:04:06 PM »
Yeah, Bill gave us that generic “we put the players out there to give us the best chance” vague bs.
Light fuse, get away

Offline BuccinGator

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2018, 02:26:23 PM »
Yeah, Bill gave us that generic “we put the players out there to give us the best chance” vague bs.

What did the announcers call it? The Belichik semantic two-step?
~Imagine Whirled Peas~

When your only tool is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.

Offline BuccinGator

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2018, 02:33:51 PM »
It's NFL Memes, so take it for what it's worth, but they said missed curfew and was caught with wacky tabaccy.
~Imagine Whirled Peas~

Online Fish-on087

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2018, 02:38:55 PM »
Butler-gate?
Concrete shoes have no laces

Offline wild-turkey

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2018, 03:05:33 PM »
Couple of things I read:

- His backup didn’t know he was starting until game time.
-  Butler evidently was crying on the sidelines about being benched.

Weird story and I have to lean that he did something because he does not appear the Pat coaches were planning on sitting him and this isn’t something they would do without serious thought.  I’m not sure but does the league drug tests at some point for this game?  If so it very well could be drug related and the team didn’t want to risk it.

Offline BuccinGator

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2018, 03:14:38 PM »
Couple of things I read:

Weird story and I have to lean that he did something because he does not appear the Pat coaches were planning on sitting him and this isn’t something they would do without serious thought.  I’m not sure but does the league drug tests at some point for this game?  If so it very well could be drug related and the team didn’t want to risk it.

No, not unless they are in the program, which you shouldn't know who is in stage 1. And even then not specifically for this game, just more often. If you are not in the program, it is one yearly random test in a specific range of dates, pretty sure in the off season.
~Imagine Whirled Peas~

Online Fish-on087

« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2018, 03:45:06 PM »
So what's Perry or Curran saying about this?. Aren't they the Boston voice?

Offline Mr. Shickadance

« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2018, 04:23:06 PM »
They were talking about this on our local Fan affiliate on my way home from work.

Word is that Butler didn't make curfew, was caught with weed, and when confronted went ballistic on the coaches.
Religion: "We will add your biological and technological distinctiveness to our own. Resistance is futile."

Online Fish-on087

« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2018, 05:24:19 PM »
They were talking about this on our local Fan affiliate on my way home from work.

Word is that Butler didn't make curfew, was caught with weed, and when confronted went ballistic on the coaches.
If that's true, he made the mistake of being on a Belicheck team.

Offline Mr. Shickadance

« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2018, 05:32:01 PM »
If that's true, he made the mistake of being on a Belicheck team.

I can't imagine any team putting up with that shit. Butler is pretty good, but not that damn good.
Religion: "We will add your biological and technological distinctiveness to our own. Resistance is futile."

Offline Mannyrules3

« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2018, 05:40:10 PM »
I can't imagine any team putting up with that shit. Butler is pretty good, but not that damn good.

No, I get what Fish is saying. There are some coaches who may be strict or whatever, but when it came to the super bowl would sweep the hooker/weed/pee-tape/curfew issue under the rug to keep their best players on the field and not dick with something like the chemistry of their defensive unit.  If it's true Bill benched Butler because of a little weed and a missed curfew, then IMHO the genius is an idiot.  Fine him, trade him, whatever, just don't cost the rest of the organization a championship because of some hard line zero tolerance show of bravado.

Offline Mannyrules3

« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2018, 05:42:06 PM »
-  Butler evidently was crying on the sidelines

You'd cry too if someone took all your weed right before the Superbowl.

Online Misterfamous

« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2018, 06:00:06 PM »
You'd cry too if someone took all your weed right before the Superbowl.
One would think that if you won the Super Bowl, you wouldn’t have to worry about weed for several months at least.
wsh2 wsh3 gb1

Offline dbldwn711

« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2018, 06:54:52 PM »
Couple of things I read:

It’s not drugs. He played on special teams (1 play — the punt). 

The fact that nobody was told until right before game time about the switch and even then they only told Rowe and butler (not the other defensive players) says it was personal.  That’s a huge FU to him.

Offline dbldwn711

« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2018, 07:01:09 PM »
No, I get what Fish is saying. There are some coaches who may be strict or whatever, but when it came to the super bowl would sweep the hooker/weed/pee-tape/curfew issue under the rug to keep their best players on the field and not dick with something like the chemistry of their defensive unit.  If it's true Bill benched Butler because of a little weed and a missed curfew, then IMHO the genius is an idiot.  Fine him, trade him, whatever, just don't cost the rest of the organization a championship because of some hard line zero tolerance show of bravado.

Manny you are 100% correct.  This was stupid. BB talks about situational football.  He preaches every situation is different. If this was week 4 he benched butler and then trades him. He has all the power. However, it’s SB and butler is an unrestricted free agent so he can’t trade him. He has no leverage. He didn’t like that. So he waited till right before game time and the guy who preaches no distractions and no drama creates all of that!  Why? Because one of his rules got violated? That’s petty.

These players sacrifice a lot for him. They play hurt. These coaches sacrifice time with their families.  They are owed a lot more than BB ego was bruised.  They are owed the opportunity to win this game with the best players on the field.  If I was a player I’d be pissed

Online Fish-on087

« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2018, 07:16:34 PM »
Think about it, if this weed incident happened in a state that legalized weed, would he been benched?

Offline Mr. Shickadance

« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2018, 07:18:20 PM »
Think about it, if this weed incident happened in a state that legalized weed, would he been benched?

It's still a violation of NFL policy, so yes.

Online Fish-on087

« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2018, 07:21:22 PM »
It's still a violation of NFL policy, so yes.

But maybe it wouldn't have come up as an issue because it would have been a indiscrete incident

Offline Mr. Shickadance

« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2018, 07:28:54 PM »
But maybe it wouldn't have come up as an issue because it would have been a indiscrete incident

Yeah right and imagine the ramifications if the NFL found out that the team conspired to hide it. Especially for a team with a history of circumventing the rules.

Online Misterfamous

« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2018, 07:38:17 PM »
Yeah right and imagine the ramifications if the NFL found out that the team conspired to hide it. Especially for a team with a history of circumventing the rules.
Look- he played.  And even if he didn't, he could have, since he was dressed.  So either the conspiracy's there, or it isn't.

I do wonder if the Pats fanbase is blaming Belichick / Butler for the loss though.
wsh2 wsh3 gb1

Online Fish-on087

« Reply #22 on: February 05, 2018, 07:39:58 PM »

That's just it, if they found out it would be too late and really, what would they do to the Patriots?, forfeit games?, no, suspend Butler yes, take the chance. This is much less significant than deflated balls and espionage.

Offline Mr. Shickadance

« Reply #23 on: February 05, 2018, 07:45:13 PM »
That's just it, if they found out it would be too late and really, what would they do to the Patriots?, forfeit games?, no, suspend Butler yes, take the chance. This is much less significant than deflated balls and espionage.

Sure, it would be too late if they had won the SB, but they could still punish the Pats harshly. Draft picks, suspension of personnel, including coaches and management, as  well as steep monetary fines for all involved.

Offline Mr. Shickadance

« Reply #24 on: February 05, 2018, 07:47:27 PM »
Look- he played.  And even if he didn't, he could have, since he was dressed.  So either the conspiracy's there, or it isn't.

I do wonder if the Pats fanbase is blaming Belichick / Butler for the loss though.

I don't think it is, but that was the conjecture on the radio.

Oh yeah, Pats fans were calling in blaming both for the loss.