Author Topic: Smart People Don't Want To Live In Liberal Areas  (Read 762 times)

Offline Misterfamous

Re: Smart People Don't Want To Live In Liberal Areas
« Reply #25 on: February 10, 2018, 08:14:48 PM »
Again, I'm sorry it upsets you that after you mentioned how some homeless guy is pissing in a bottle 50 ft from Brin's condo in Palo Alto, a condo he hasn't lived in FOR YEARS, I posted a picture of his current residence and point out it looks more like a mansion in Los Altos Hills than a condo in Palo Alto

Whatever else you're trying to turn this into isn't worth my time.

Perhaps you should cry some more about how I started a thread you didn't like, you poor thing.
Hahahah.  I've never seen a worse job of trying to defend a losing hand.  A. There is a rampant and growing homelessness problem in Palo Alto.  B. There numerous examples of incredible destitute individuals living close to big money Silicon Valley entrepeneurs (including, but not limited to Sergey Brin's 2012 condo, Stanford University, etc.)

You: Brin lives in a mansion now, so you're wrong !

It's so incredibly sad you feel the need to argue with me and score some sort of victory that you miss the central argument.  If memory serves, Palo Alto is one of the wealthiest cities in the United States, which hammers home the disparity situation even more.
wsh2 wsh3 gb1

Online Mr. Shickadance

« Reply #26 on: February 10, 2018, 09:06:28 PM »
pop1
Religion: "We will add your biological and technological distinctiveness to our own. Resistance is futile."

Offline Fish-on087

« Reply #27 on: February 11, 2018, 01:01:04 PM »
Hahahah.  I've never seen a worse job of trying to defend a losing hand.  A. There is a rampant and growing homelessness problem in Palo Alto.  B. There numerous examples of incredible destitute individuals living close to big money Silicon Valley entrepeneurs (including, but not limited to Sergey Brin's 2012 condo, Stanford University, etc.)

It's so incredibly sad you feel the need to argue with me and score some sort of victory that you miss the central argument.  If memory serves, Palo Alto is one of the wealthiest cities in the United States, which hammers home the disparity situation even more.

I don't think you live in Palo Alto, and I know she doesn't, so what's with Palo Alto being the center of this argument?. I'm sure there are rich people living in areas of large homeless populations all over the USA. As an observer here, I can't figure out what the big stink is.

Philadelphia has the same problem as Palo Alto but when I look outside at Rittenhouse square I don't see homeless people, and a large concentration of conservatives live there as well as liberals.

It may be true that Liberals control larger cities and they have many social problems as well as economic but then again if you travel to rural area's they too have the same problems under a conservative program. I don't believe poverty facilitates from liberal to conservative areas for the sake of status climbing.  I had a few friends that made a lot of money, they were educated and conservatives, they are now homeless, bankrupt etc.. They can't blame it on liberal ideas or agendas, it was their own fault or bad decisions. I think you need to take this into account before we group all these homeless and social program dependents.  Yes it may be true they are taking advantage of liberal politics to create these programs but I don't see the makeup of such a group becoming a voting block for either side.
It may be true California has more problems and larger deficits than most states but the homeless and newly acquainted poverty stricken people are products not the cause or the intention of political ambition.

Concrete shoes have no laces

Offline Red Hessian

• The Crimson King
  • Professional Lawn Darts
  • Hall of Famer
  • View Inventory
  • Send /Gift
  • Sharpens you up for a bit of the old ultraviolence
Light fuse, get away

Offline Cali Cat

• Once she sinks her claws in...it's OVER
  • Cold-Hearted Woman
  • Hall of Famer
  • View Inventory
  • Send /Gift
  • cold-hearted woman
« Reply #29 on: February 11, 2018, 01:33:36 PM »

As usual, you can't even accurately relay what's been said in the thread, and I have no interest in the little scenarios you create in your mind, then try to present as reality.
  memphis1 sf3 kentucky1

"The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." -Orwell

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea." -Heinlein (thanks, kburjr!)

Offline Cali Cat

• Cold-Hearted Woman
  • Hall of Famer
  • View Inventory
  • Send /Gift
  • cold-hearted woman
« Reply #30 on: February 11, 2018, 01:34:35 PM »
  memphis1 sf3 kentucky1

"The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." -Orwell

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea." -Heinlein (thanks, kburjr!)

Offline Misterfamous

« Reply #31 on: February 11, 2018, 02:36:13 PM »
I don't think you live in Palo Alto, and I know she doesn't, so what's with Palo Alto being the center of this argument?. I'm sure there are rich people living in areas of large homeless populations all over the USA. As an observer here, I can't figure out what the big stink is.

Philadelphia has the same problem as Palo Alto but when I look outside at Rittenhouse square I don't see homeless people, and a large concentration of conservatives live there as well as liberals.

It may be true that Liberals control larger cities and they have many social problems as well as economic but then again if you travel to rural area's they too have the same problems under a conservative program. I don't believe poverty facilitates from liberal to conservative areas for the sake of status climbing.  I had a few friends that made a lot of money, they were educated and conservatives, they are now homeless, bankrupt etc.. They can't blame it on liberal ideas or agendas, it was their own fault or bad decisions. I think you need to take this into account before we group all these homeless and social program dependents.  Yes it may be true they are taking advantage of liberal politics to create these programs but I don't see the makeup of such a group becoming a voting block for either side.
It may be true California has more problems and larger deficits than most states but the homeless and newly acquainted poverty stricken people are products not the cause or the intention of political ambition.

I’ve visited Palo Alto several times over the years.  Why it’s noteworthy is that it’s one of the wealthiest places in the country (top ten, I believe), and yet there’s this massive, exploding homeless problem.

California liberals have excessive pride over how progressive they are, yet with such nearby prosperity, it’s particularly shameful how many people visibly in distress.  It’s a disconnect, similar to how Republicans claim to be the party of fiscal conservatism, yet when in power, remove spending caps and move into historic deficit territory.
wsh2 wsh3 gb1

Offline Cali Cat

• Cold-Hearted Woman
  • Hall of Famer
  • View Inventory
  • Send /Gift
  • cold-hearted woman
« Reply #32 on: February 11, 2018, 02:55:07 PM »

How do you know I don't live in Palo Alto???
Whether I do or not, I do spend a fair amount of time there, although not nearly as much as I used to.
I don't know why homelessness or that particular town even came up, but anyway, while the number of homeless in Palo Alto is up over the last two years, it's actually down from about 10 years ago.  One is also far less likely to see the homeless panhandling on the streets than they were 10 years ago.  The biggest issue at present are those without homes living in trailers, and parking their RV's on the streets of the town.
  memphis1 sf3 kentucky1

Offline Fish-on087

« Reply #33 on: February 11, 2018, 02:59:21 PM »
I’ve visited Palo Alto several times over the years.  Why it’s noteworthy is that it’s one of the wealthiest places in the country (top ten, I believe), and yet there’s this massive, exploding homeless problem.

California liberals have excessive pride over how progressive they are, yet with such nearby prosperity, it’s particularly shameful how many people visibly in distress.  It’s a disconnect, similar to how Republicans claim to be the party of fiscal conservatism, yet when in power, remove spending caps and move into historic deficit territory.
OK, I see what you're saying but does Palo Alto council have a direct influence on these homeless?. Are these homeless a portion of what I suggested?, that many wealthy people through bad investment or such become homeless, they cannot get a job and cannot move. maybe their pride, maybe their allegiances that keep them  and maybe hope. I'm not denying that they exist and that they may exceed the sensibility of their surroundings but I'm not convinced Liberal legislators are responsible for all of them.  Was that the original summarization?, if I'm wrong OK but that's what I thought was being addressed
Concrete shoes have no laces

Offline Red Hessian

• The Crimson King
  • Hall of Famer
  • View Inventory
  • Send /Gift
« Reply #34 on: February 11, 2018, 03:28:25 PM »

so basically, you’re pissed at the wealthy who preach social justice and green living. They pride themselves by sporting a Prius instead of a Maserati, and then blow $10k in gasoline for their Learjet on a for a weekend trip to Cabo; cocaine runneth over destroying the actual community. But pay no attention. Because cocaine. 
Light fuse, get away

Offline Red Hessian

• The Crimson King
  • Hall of Famer
  • View Inventory
  • Send /Gift
« Reply #35 on: February 11, 2018, 03:30:33 PM »
so basically, you’re pissed at the wealthy who preach social justice and green living. They pride themselves by sporting a Prius instead of a Maserati, and then blow $10k in gasoline for their Learjet on a for a weekend trip to Cabo; cocaine runneth over destroying the actual community. But pay no attention. Because cocaine. 

By the way Cali, if you know any of these people, hook a brother up. Now. I’m excited for a hypothetical trip
Light fuse, get away

Offline Red Hessian

• The Crimson King
  • Hall of Famer
  • View Inventory
  • Send /Gift
« Reply #36 on: February 11, 2018, 03:32:28 PM »
Kb, you want in on this? I see you lurkin. Get you outta the cold for a bit.
Light fuse, get away

Offline wild-turkey

« Reply #37 on: February 11, 2018, 03:45:40 PM »
pop1
That's racist.  Flaunting corn related products is disrespectful to native Americans and a symbol of their oppression.

Offline Cali Cat

• Cold-Hearted Woman
  • Hall of Famer
  • View Inventory
  • Send /Gift
  • cold-hearted woman
« Reply #38 on: February 11, 2018, 03:47:27 PM »
By the way Cali, if you know any of these people, hook a brother up. Now. I’m excited for a hypothetical trip

I certainly know some folks who ... have had great success in Silicon Valley... but not only are they past their cocaine days, they sure as shit choose some place better to go than Cabo.
This time of year they tend to drive their Prius, or more likely their hybrid SUVs (one even has a Tesla electric SUV), up to their homes in Tahoe.  If they fly somewhere, it tends to be some place more like Hawaii, where they have another home.
  memphis1 sf3 kentucky1

Offline wild-turkey

« Reply #39 on: February 11, 2018, 03:48:32 PM »
How do you know I don't live in Palo Alto???
Whether I do or not, I do spend a fair amount of time there, although not nearly as much as I used to.
I don't know why homelessness or that particular town even came up, but anyway, while the number of homeless in Palo Alto is up over the last two years, it's actually down from about 10 years ago.  One is also far less likely to see the homeless panhandling on the streets than they were 10 years ago.  The biggest issue at present are those without homes living in trailers, and parking their RV's on the streets of the town.
Down because they moved them to the parking lot tent cities in LA.  Palo Alto and Malibu should have subsidized housing for poor people.

Offline wild-turkey

« Reply #40 on: February 11, 2018, 03:49:42 PM »
I certainly know some folks who ... have had great success in Silicon Valley... but not only are they past their cocaine days, they sure as shit choose some place better to go than Cabo.
This time of year they tend to drive their Prius, or more likely their hybrid SUVs (one even has a Tesla electric SUV), up to their homes in Tahoe.  If they fly somewhere, it tends to be some place more like Hawaii, where they have another home.
While the poor are left to dig through trash cans in LA.

Offline Cali Cat

• Cold-Hearted Woman
  • Hall of Famer
  • View Inventory
  • Send /Gift
  • cold-hearted woman
« Reply #41 on: February 11, 2018, 03:53:29 PM »
Down because they moved them to the parking lot tent cities in LA.  Palo Alto and Malibu should have subsidized housing for poor people.

Voters approved a measure in the county, I think it was last year, for affordable housing, with hundreds of millions of dollars specifically going toward housing the homeless.
  memphis1 sf3 kentucky1

Offline wild-turkey

« Reply #42 on: February 11, 2018, 04:08:33 PM »
Voters approved a measure in the county, I think it was last year, for affordable housing, with hundreds of millions of dollars specifically going toward housing the homeless.
And they are doing a fanrastic job of putting that money to work creating tent cities in abandoned Wal-Mart parking lots.   It's great because they are really needed since those homeless Americans have a zero shot of obtaining a job because all the illegals are doing them under the table with no taxes being paid, millions being sent across the boarder while driving the cost of public services through the roof.  You guys have it all figured out and should be a model for the rest of the country.

Offline kburjr

« Reply #43 on: February 11, 2018, 04:11:05 PM »
OK, I see what you're saying but does Palo Alto council have a direct influence on these homeless?. Are these homeless a portion of what I suggested?, that many wealthy people through bad investment or such become homeless, they cannot get a job and cannot move. maybe their pride, maybe their allegiances that keep them  and maybe hope. I'm not denying that they exist and that they may exceed the sensibility of their surroundings but I'm not convinced Liberal legislators are responsible for all of them.  Was that the original summarization?, if I'm wrong OK but that's what I thought was being addressed

I read an article about how gentrification leads to increased homelessness for the working poor.  Manhattan was mentioned as being a place wher all the service people can no longer afford to live there, so they move to the Bronx or Queens.  Maybe that works in a dense urban area but if the guy who cuts your lawn has to commute 40-50 miles to come to work, maybe he just buys a motorhome and lives in the Wal-Mart parking lot.
"Democracy? I want nothing to do with a system which operates on the premise that my rights don't exist simply because I am outnumbered."

-  E. Lee Wrights

“Keep a goverment poor and weak and it's your servant; when it is rich and powerful it becomes your master.”
―H. Beam Piper

“Over himself, over his own body and mind, the individual is sovereign.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

Offline kburjr

« Reply #44 on: February 11, 2018, 04:12:21 PM »
Kb, you want in on this? I see you lurkin. Get you outta the cold for a bit.

I was finishing up my tax returns and left this window open.   Shopping for a motorhome.

P.S.  Don't fuck with me.  Cleaning some guns for the revolution.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2018, 04:14:22 PM by kburjr »
"Democracy? I want nothing to do with a system which operates on the premise that my rights don't exist simply because I am outnumbered."

-  E. Lee Wrights

“Keep a goverment poor and weak and it's your servant; when it is rich and powerful it becomes your master.”
―H. Beam Piper

“Over himself, over his own body and mind, the individual is sovereign.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

Offline wild-turkey

« Reply #45 on: February 11, 2018, 04:14:27 PM »
I read an article about how gentrification leads to increased homelessness for the working poor.  Manhattan was mentioned as being a place wher all the service people can no longer afford to live there, so they move to the Bronx or Queens.  Maybe that works in a dense urban area but if the guy who cuts your lawn has to commute 40-50 miles to come to work, maybe he just buys a motorhome and lives in the Wal-Mart parking lot.
This is happening in the Florida pan handle.  They keep pushing the housing cost further and further up, farther and farther away. 

Offline Cali Cat

• Cold-Hearted Woman
  • Hall of Famer
  • View Inventory
  • Send /Gift
  • cold-hearted woman
« Reply #46 on: February 11, 2018, 04:15:30 PM »
And they are doing a fanrastic job of putting that money to work creating tent cities in abandoned Wal-Mart parking lots.   It's great because they are really needed since those homeless Americans have a zero shot of obtaining a job because all the illegals are doing them under the table with no taxes being paid, millions being sent across the boarder while driving the cost of public services through the roof.  You guys have it all figured out and should be a model for the rest of the country.

You're especially funny when you start getting your troll on.
Not as funny as your Drunk Threads, but still funny.  grin1
« Last Edit: February 11, 2018, 04:20:15 PM by Cali Cat »
  memphis1 sf3 kentucky1

Offline wild-turkey

« Reply #47 on: February 11, 2018, 04:16:18 PM »
I was finishing up my tax returns and left this window open.   Shopping for a motorhome.

P.S.  Don't fuck with me.  Cleaning some guns for the revolution.
Crank that puppy up and head South.  Great weather, great hunting, lower taxes and we love freedom.

Offline Cali Cat

• Cold-Hearted Woman
  • Hall of Famer
  • View Inventory
  • Send /Gift
  • cold-hearted woman
« Reply #48 on: February 11, 2018, 04:26:58 PM »

This is happening in the Florida pan handle.  They keep pushing the housing cost further and further up, farther and farther away. 

That's very common around here, and it isn't just the working poor.  There are plenty who are not anywhere close to poor, but they can't afford to buy anywhere close to where they work, so they either have to rent, or they have to move way far away to buy.  For the working poor, they can't afford to rent anywhere close to where they work, so they have to move way far away just to find some place they can afford to rent.
  memphis1 sf3 kentucky1

Offline Misterfamous

« Reply #49 on: February 11, 2018, 04:37:08 PM »
Of course they do; no city government is powerless.  Some governments divert large portions of tax revenue towards shelters and jobs programs.  Others, less compassionate, buy them bus tickets and send them elsewhere.  But since Palo Alto is full of ultra-progressives who talk a big social welfare game, it seems all the more hypocritical.
wsh2 wsh3 gb1