Author Topic: What’s your favorite color?  (Read 310 times)

Offline Realityball

• Democrat
  • Star
  • My wish is to die a conservative ...
Re: What’s your favorite color?
« Reply #25 on: August 17, 2018, 02:52:05 PM »

Cheer up, RB.  Only 886.5 days remaining on Trump’s presidency. (Unless he wins re-election, in which case, it’s only 2,347.5 days remaining. :)) )

... permanent damage done ... we can no longer snicker at another country ... it used to be fun ya know ...
“Maybe this is what people want. I’ve got the economy set up well for him. No facts. No consequences. They can just have a cartoon.”

Offline NuminousGuy

• Star
  • look at it from the existentialist’s viewpoint
« Reply #26 on: August 17, 2018, 02:52:27 PM »
EM radiation does not depend on a "see-er".

Light is a subset of EM radiation.

Therefore, light does not depend on a "see-er".

Can you "see" 750nm EM (far IR)? It's EM, but cannot be "seen." Therefore, it's EM radiation that is not see-able: not light. Visible EM is termed "light." The see-er determines what EM is visible: is "light."

Humans can only "see" EM from 400-700nm. You cannot see other λs of EM. The other λs are not light, but are EM. Light is defined as the λs that can be perceived.  If it can't be seen, it's EM, but not light.
helping to protect America from Deplorables since 2015

Offline Realityball

• Democrat
  • Star
« Reply #27 on: August 17, 2018, 02:53:42 PM »
Can you "see" 750nm EM (far IR)? It's EM, but cannot be "seen." Therefore, it's EM radiation that is not see-able: not light. Visible EM is termed "light." The see-er determines what EM is visible: is "light."

Humans can only "see" EM from 400-700nm. You cannot see other λs of EM. The other λs are not light, but are EM. Light is defined as the λs that can be perceived.  If it can't be seen, it's EM, but not light.

Van Gogh said colors are truer at night ... he was correct

“Maybe this is what people want. I’ve got the economy set up well for him. No facts. No consequences. They can just have a cartoon.”

Offline Realityball

• Democrat
  • Star
« Reply #28 on: August 17, 2018, 02:54:15 PM »

I had an earache once ...

Offline Realityball

• Democrat
  • Star
« Reply #29 on: August 17, 2018, 02:58:23 PM »

krist ... can't even laugh at orange-haired-tattooed-canadian-falgots in soccer shorts anymore ...

that used to be sorta fun too ... laughin and shiiit ...

Offline Realityball

• Democrat
  • Star
« Reply #30 on: August 17, 2018, 03:00:24 PM »

yellow used to be my fav color ... it made all other colors brighter ... it even made black green

... now ... it's a bad hair color

Offline NuminousGuy

• Star
« Reply #31 on: August 17, 2018, 03:03:12 PM »
Van Gogh said colors are truer at night ... he was correct

Humans can only perceive colors using the cones of the retina, but not the rods. For the cone cells to become excited enough to signal the brain, the intensity of the light must exceed a lower limit. If not, the object has no  perceptible color, it's shades of grey.

Offline BuccinGator

• Icon
  • Average Joe With an Opinion
« Reply #32 on: August 17, 2018, 03:19:40 PM »

I had an earache once ...

Did you cut it off?
~Imagine Whirled Peas~

When your only tool is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.

Offline BuccinGator

• Icon
  • Average Joe With an Opinion
« Reply #33 on: August 17, 2018, 03:20:28 PM »
Humans can only perceive colors using the cones of the retina, but not the rods. For the cone cells to become excited enough to signal the brain, the intensity of the light must exceed a lower limit. If not, the object has no  perceptible color, it's shades of grey.

50?
~Imagine Whirled Peas~

When your only tool is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.

Offline kburjr

• THE SCYTHE
  • Hall of Famer
  • I don't care.
« Reply #34 on: August 17, 2018, 03:53:46 PM »
Light is specifically defined as EM capable of being "seen" by humans.

Black "light" is EM of a frequency too low to be perceived by  human sense organs (except the skin). You cannot see black "light." However when black "light" is incident on fluorescent dies, it is absorbed and re-emitted as visible light, which can magically be seen in an erstwhile dark room. By the way, black (invisible) light has a λ in the ultraviolet range ( ~ 260-280 nm).

Get it yet?

Sure.  Say visible light and there is no confusion.  UV and infrared are also referred to as light.
"Democracy? I want nothing to do with a system which operates on the premise that my rights don't exist simply because I am outnumbered."

-  E. Lee Wrights

“Keep a goverment poor and weak and it's your servant; when it is rich and powerful it becomes your master.”
―H. Beam Piper

“Over himself, over his own body and mind, the individual is sovereign.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

Democracy is a pathetic belief in the collective wisdom of individual ignorance. – H.L. Mencken

Offline NuminousGuy

• Star
« Reply #35 on: August 17, 2018, 04:05:42 PM »
Sure.  Say visible light and there is no confusion.  UV and infrared are also referred to as light.

It is incorrect to call UV, IR, Xrays, and all other frequencies of EM radiation, which the human eye cannot perceive, "light."

Offline kburjr

• THE SCYTHE
  • Hall of Famer
  • I don't care.
« Reply #36 on: August 17, 2018, 04:23:55 PM »
It is incorrect to call UV, IR, Xrays, and all other frequencies of EM radiation, which the human eye cannot perceive, "light."

Smacks of solipcism.  To say that that band of the EM spectrum is defined by how a human being perceives "light" infers that without humans there would be no light.
"Democracy? I want nothing to do with a system which operates on the premise that my rights don't exist simply because I am outnumbered."

-  E. Lee Wrights

“Keep a goverment poor and weak and it's your servant; when it is rich and powerful it becomes your master.”
―H. Beam Piper

Democracy is a pathetic belief in the collective wisdom of individual ignorance. – H.L. Mencken

Offline NuminousGuy

• Star
« Reply #37 on: August 17, 2018, 04:29:38 PM »
Smacks of solipcism.  To say that that band of the EM spectrum is defined by how a human being perceives "light" infers that without humans there would be no light.

No.

If you cannot see it with your eyes, you cannot call it light. It's electromagnetic radiation, but not "light." "light" is EM radiation that can be seen.

I could beam a ferociously strong beam of Xrays directly into your eye, such that smoke would be coming out the back of your skull, and you could not see the beam. The Xray beam would not "light" a dark room.

Offline SithEvolution

• Dark Side
  • Star
« Reply #38 on: August 17, 2018, 04:32:17 PM »
I prefer to have my rod excited. Intensely I may add! anklebiter2
The truth is incontrovertible, malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it, but in the end; there it is

Offline kburjr

• THE SCYTHE
  • Hall of Famer
  • I don't care.
« Reply #39 on: August 17, 2018, 04:39:29 PM »

No.

If you cannot see it with your eyes, you cannot call it light. It's electromagnetic radiation, but not "light." "light" is EM radiation that can be seen.

I could beam a ferociously strong beam of Xrays directly into your eye, such that smoke would be coming out the back of your skull, and you could not see the beam. The Xray beam would not "light" a dark room.

So, light is not incumbent on reality but only human perception.  A blind man and I perceive the part of the EM spectrum differently.  I say there is light and he says "Bullshit".

-  E. Lee Wrights

―H. Beam Piper

Offline Misterfamous

• Superstar
  • Admin
  • Hall of Famer
  • PIV is always rape, ok?!
« Reply #40 on: August 17, 2018, 06:43:25 PM »

You don't need me to tell you you're full-o-shit.  Your life is sure proof of that.

Love the "we." Who exactly is your "we"?

You think I can’t find at least 2 other AFR members who think you’re a no-good, dumbo-nothing, turd-eater ?
wsh2 wsh3 gb1

Offline NuminousGuy

• Star
« Reply #41 on: August 17, 2018, 07:05:31 PM »
So, light is not incumbent on reality but only human perception.  A blind man and I perceive the part of the EM spectrum differently.  I say there is light and he says "Bullshit".

"Light" comprises the part of the EM spectrum that actuates vision. The rest of the EM spectrum does not actuate vision.

An emitter of pure red radiation is turned on in an erstwhile dark room. The room's surfaces are coated with a highly reflective white substance. Both sentences are consistent with reality.

To a person inside the room, the room appears red. Everything in the room appears either red or shades of grey. Both sentences are consistent with reality.

If no one is in the room, the red radiation is still reflecting off objects, but no one is seeing anything.

If the room had been painted with a pigment that reflects only EM in the blue part of the EM spectrum, when the pure red-emitting bulb was turned on, all of the EM would be absorbed by the blue surfaces, and the room would be completely dark to an observer within (unless he looked directly at the red bulb, which would appear red).

By the way, if you aim a red laser at the wall in the back of your room, you'll see a red dot on that wall.
If you are standing perpendicular to the path of the beam, you see no evidence of any beam between the laser and the red dot in the back.

By the way, by the way, the notion that you can mix pigments of primary colors to make new colors (red mixed with blue is supposed to make purple), is bogus: If you mix paint from a tube labeled "red" with some from a tube labeled "blue," the mixture will appear brown, not purple. That's because the pigments in the tubes are mixtures, not pure.

Ancient artists made their own pigments by grinding minerals: lapis = blue; Murex snail shells = purple; carmine = cochineal bugs; green = malachite; etc.

Offline NuminousGuy

• Star
« Reply #42 on: August 17, 2018, 07:10:56 PM »
On the other hand, if the same room were "lighted" by a bulb emitting pure IR (wavelength ~700nm), an observer within would be every bit as "blind" as someone in a deep, dark cave. He could find the bulb by feeling around for heat, but he could not see it.

By the way, you can see so-called "black lights" because they emit violet EM as well as UV.

Offline NuminousGuy

• Star
« Reply #43 on: August 17, 2018, 07:25:44 PM »
You think I can’t find at least 2 other AFR members who think you’re a no-good, dumbo-nothing, turd-eater ?

I think that two or more commenters at AFR might find me annoying, but I doubt anyone would agree to being termed part of a "we" with you.

Anybody here part of MisterYenta's "we"?  If so, signify.

Offline Cali Cat

• Once she sinks her claws in...it's OVER
  • Cold-Hearted Woman
  • Hall of Famer
  • cold-hearted woman
« Reply #44 on: August 17, 2018, 07:40:35 PM »
I think that two or more commenters at AFR might find me annoying, but I doubt anyone would agree to being termed part of a "we" with you.

Anybody here part of MisterYenta's "we"?  If so, signify.

How in the world can you survive being called so many horrible names, NuminousGuy???
Have you had to stock up on aloe vera to help sooth all the burns?
  memphis1 sf3 kentucky1

"The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." -Orwell

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea." -Heinlein (thanks, kburjr!)

"... I'm dangerous, I'm unhinged, I'm mentally ill ..."  -F  og

Offline NuminousGuy

• Star
« Reply #45 on: August 17, 2018, 07:49:15 PM »
How in the world can you survive being called so many horrible names, NuminousGuy???
Have you had to stock up on aloe vera to help sooth all the burns?

I'm a trembling wreck. MisterWe and his gang of We-henchmen are some kind of frightening.

Thanks for your concern (in case they drive me from AFR with their amazing burns).

Offline Misterfamous

• Superstar
  • Admin
  • Hall of Famer
  • PIV is always rape, ok?!
« Reply #46 on: August 17, 2018, 07:52:04 PM »
I'm a trembling wreck. MisterWe and his gang of We-henchmen are some kind of frightening.

Thanks for your concern (in case they drive me from AFR with their amazing burns).

Hey Asshat, why did you delete your account the last time you swore you were leaving AFR forever ?  You could have simply changed the name to “NuminousGuy” (or perhaps something less douche-tastic).
wsh2 wsh3 gb1

Offline NuminousGuy

• Star
« Reply #47 on: August 17, 2018, 07:55:18 PM »
Hey Asshat, why did you delete your account the last time you swore you were leaving AFR forever ?  You could have simply changed the name to “NuminousGuy” (or perhaps something less douche-tastic).

When you post a genuine link to a comment by me where I say I'm leaving AFR permanently, you'll stop being a liar.

Until then, just keep making a further fool of yourself, Liar.

Offline NuminousGuy

• Star
« Reply #48 on: August 17, 2018, 08:05:42 PM »
In the white room lit only by a blue laser (480nm), you'd see a blue spot on the back wall.

In the white room lit only by a yellow laser (580nm), you'd see a yellow spot on the back wall.

If you superimposed the lasers onto the same spot, what color would you see? The blue and yellow lasers have the same level of saturation (intensity).

Offline Cali Cat

• Once she sinks her claws in...it's OVER
  • Cold-Hearted Woman
  • Hall of Famer
  • cold-hearted woman
« Reply #49 on: August 17, 2018, 08:07:38 PM »

Understood.  When he directs his scorching commentary at me, I'm terrified.

No problem.  grin1
  memphis1 sf3 kentucky1

"The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." -Orwell

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea." -Heinlein (thanks, kburjr!)

"... I'm dangerous, I'm unhinged, I'm mentally ill ..."  -F  og